Sunday, January 6, 2013

Second Chances





mulling  present participle of mull (Verb)


Verb
  1. Think about (a fact, proposal, or request) deeply and at length: "she began to mull over the various possibilities".
  2. Warm (a beverage, esp. wine, beer, or cider) and add spices and sweetening to it.


Just mulling around thoughts about 2nd chances today.

 I heard a moving sermon that was really more testimony than sermon but very powerful. This man had been driving drunk, wrecked his car and his best friend died before the ambulance could get him to the ER. The mother of his friend, her first words to him were 'I love you and I forgive you.' This was the morning after the accident.

 I don't know if I would be able to do that.

 The story is truly moving and made me cry but I wonder if this was her instant response or if she struggled all night with the depths of grief for her son and realizing that God was calling her to be forgiving and after the wrestling she came to that choice.

Forgiveness and mercy have amazing power. But when someone shares their story we don't hear the part about the nights of pain and tears, the choices made one by one, the mistakes and backing up and starting again.

 I wish 2nd chance meant that there would instantly be everything just perfect.  But no, the perfect won't ever be.

It is the learning and growing and stretching and becoming that are the process of that 2nd chance.  





No comments:

Post a Comment